Blinds are a great investment for homeowners because they provide so many benefits. Not only do they provide protection from the sun, but they also add to the aesthetic, increase efficiency, and offer more privacy. In order to get the most out of a new blinds installation, homeowners need to make sure that they are installing the right size.
If they are too small, they may let in too much light or make it more difficult to heat and cool the room. If they are too large, they may end up looking awkward and bring down the appearance of the room. For those reasons and more, it’s important that homeowners know the best way to measure for their new blinds.
Fortunately, the process doesn’t have to be difficult. Instead, homeowners can follow a few simple steps to find the perfect fit for their windows. In this guide from BlindQuest, homeowners will learn the best methods for measuring two different types of blinds: inside mounts and outside mounts. Keep reading to learn more.
Measuring for Inside Mount Blinds
As the name would imply, an inside mount blinds installation takes place within the window frame or casing. Many people love this still of blind mount because it is very sleek. It can give any space a clean look, and it also allows the details of the window frames to shine through because it won’t cover any moldings.
Since the size is limited by the size of the frame, it’s important to make sure the blinds aren’t too big, especially if they are custom-made. In order to make sure that the blinds fit perfectly for a seamless installation, homeowners should follow these steps:
- Measure the window frame’s depth. Measuring for a blind installation isn’t just about making sure the blinds fit within the frame. It’s equally as important that the frame be deep enough to accommodate the mount itself. Homeowners can refer to their mounting requirements to see the minimum depth needed for their preferred blind style.
- Measure the width of the window opening. Homeowners should take three measurements–the top, middle, and bottom. From there, they will need to select the narrowest point as this will dictate the maximum width of the blinds. If vertical or solar shades are being installed, only the top measurement is needed.
- Measure the height of the window opening. Measurements for the height should be taken in three places as well to get the best fit for roller shades, vertical blinds, solar shades, and sheer shades. Homeowners will select the smallest number from the left, center, and right. For any other style of blind, the longest number should be used.
- Order the exact opening size. It’s not necessary to make deductions from those measurements. The factor will take their own deductions during the manufacturing process.
- Double-check the measurement format. It’s important that the measurements be given in width-by-height format. If the numbers are reversed, the blinds won’t fit!
Measuring for Outside Mount Blinds
Some homeowners prefer the look of blinds that are mounted outside of the window molding. This can make windows look longer or wider, and they provide exceptional light control and privacy. They are also a good alternative if the depth of a window casing won’t allow for an inside mount.
Follow these steps to get the measurements for an outside mount blinds installation:
- Measure above the window. There should be at least 2 inches of flat space above the window to accommodate the mount.
- Choose the location for the headrail. The mount can be installed directly on the wall or molding if there is enough flat space.
- Measure the width. The amount of space to be covered is ultimately up to the homeowner, but it’s recommended that there be at least 1.5 inches of overlap on either side of the window.
- Measure the height. To determine the height, measure from the location of the headrail to where the bottom of the blinds will be. Homeowners can choose to measure to the sill or beyond, but if the window sill protrudes, that should be the lowest point.
- Don’t take deductions. Again, this is something the manufacturer will account for.
- Use proper format. Measurements should always be given in width by height.
Learn More About Getting the Perfect Fit for a Blinds Installation
Homeowners who are worried they won’t get the right measurements don’t have to stress. The professionals of BlindQuest can come and measure windows to ensure the best fit for their products. To request a design consultation, simply call or submit their online form. Customers can also schedule an appointment to see their showroom!